One day training of trainers on
“Infection Prevention & Control and Social Mobilisation during COVID-19”
Date: 5th June 2020
Venue: CYSD, Bhubaneswar
Partner Organisation: CORE (Cooperation for Rural Excellence)
Mode of training: Physical.
Background:Corona Virus Disease (COVID – 19) which has spread to 213 countries of world and had been declared as pandemic by World Health Organisation (WHO) on 11th March 2020. More than 2,35,710 confirmed cases and 6,609 deaths were reported in the country as on 5thJune 2020. Against this daunting numbers government of Odisha along with many CSOs and NGOs has utilised its capacities in full strengths to restricts the spread.It is extremely important to raise awareness in the communities related to COVID-19. Hand hygiene, respiratory hygiene, use of mask and social distancing and self-isolation either at homes or quarantines centres have been identified as most critical preventive measures to be adopted by all.
Introduction:To stop the spread of Covid-19 outbreak, its important to spread the awareness, which can only be done by creating a pool of skilled trainers on “Infection Prevention & Control and Social Mobilisation during COVID-19”. UNICEF is committed to provide all its support in its full strength to create skilled and learned human resource to fight this ongoing pandemic and for this out of two proposed trainings first one day training of trainers was organised on 5th June 2020. UNICEF with its resource persons has supported CORE in imparting training to fifteen trainers on IPC and WASH during COVID-19. These trained trainers would further train other frontline functionaries at community level.
Objective of the training: To strengthen the capacity of fifteen trainers on Infection Prevention & Control and Social Mobilisation during COVID-19.
Agenda/Proceedings of the Training:
- Registration: Registration of the participants started at 9:30 am
- Welcome and Introduction: Registration was followed by a brief introductory session, Ms Shipra Saxena WASH specialist UNICEF welcomed participants and resource persons, from CORE Mr. Jagadanandaalso welcomed all the participants and resource persons.
- Session 1: About COVID-19: All the participants were introduced about the ongoing pandemic. In this session the background and origin of corona virus was discussed. Participants were also introduced to other aspects of Covid -19, like how does COVID-19 spread, symptoms of COVID-19 and how to avoid the risk of getting infected. This session was facilitated by Dr. Anil, health consultant UNICEF. Various Corona related myths were also debunked during this session.
- Session2: About handwashing and different types hand washing stations. In this session participants were told about the importance of handwashing with soap, how HWWS canreduce the chances of getting infected with corona virus. The correct way of handwashing with soap for at least 20 seconds was also demonstrated. There after different types of contact less or touch free hand washing stations like Tippy tap, Pedal operated and elbow tap were also shown in the session. This session was facilitated by Mr M S Khan, WASH consultant UNICEF
- Session3: WASH and Covid-19: In this session all the participants were briefed about the basic concepts of Water Sanitation & Hygiene and its importance. In this session its was talked about impacts of WASH facilities during COVID-19, and what can be done to ensure the basic WASH facilities at home and government established quarantine canters. Safe disposal of infected waste was also discussed. This session was taken by Mr Narendra Singh Chouhan, WASH Officer UNICEF.
- Session 4: Infection Prevention & Control (IPC). In this session different measures of IPC were discussed. Participants were told about how to practice healthy hand Hygiene, Respiratory hygiene, Social Distancing, Safe handling of water, Use of personal protective equipment and disposal of infected waste.
Mr Narendra Singh Chouhan, WASH Officer UNICEF had taken this session. He also discussed Dos and Don’ts of COVID-19.
- Session5: Social Mobilization: This session talked about social behaviour and communication change, Mr Rudra Prasanna Rath, SBCC Consultant UNICEF talked about different ways to mobilise the people and role of effective communication in social mobilization. He also talked about different ways of effective communication.
- Session6: Psychosocial Support and Social stigma: In this session participants were told about the psychological impacts of this pandemic and lockdown on to human physical and mental health. Ms Devika, Consultant UNICEF had taken this session. She told how to reduce the stress during this pandemic, she also talked about various social stigma related to COVID-19.
- Session7: There was also a session in which participants were briefed about the existing guidelines, policies and notifications related to COVID-19. Mr Yogendra Singh, Sanitation Consultant UNICEF had facilitated this session.
- Session8: Feedback and Valedictory session: At the end all the participants shared their feedbacks about the training and there after Ms Shipra Saxena facilitated the valedictory session.
** Proper social distancing and other preventive measures like hand washing with soap, use of mask were ensured throughout the training
 Deccan Herald